The history of the abbey Stift Neuburg is closely linked to the history of the city of Heidelberg.
In 1130, Neuburg was founded as a Benedictine monastery by Lorsch Abbey (an important Benedictine abbey during the Carolingian period). However, 30 years later, by 1165, all the monks had left the monastery again. In 1195, Neuburg was turned into a convent for nuns who, from 1303 onwards, were referred to as Cistercians. In the year 1460, Neuburg again became a Benedictine convent, this time for nuns of the Bursfeld reformed congregation.
The Reformation came and after several decades the new creed had established itself. The monastery was disbanded in 1572, and the buildings used as a country house by the local Elector.
In the year 1629, Neuburg was returned to the Catholic Church and given to the Jesuit order. In 1648, it was handed to the reformed church, and, in 1672, it became a convent for unmarried aristocrat girls (“adliges Fräuleinstift”). From then on the label “Stift” was added to “Neuburg”, and is used in this combination until today.
The Jesuits took possession of Stift Neuburg again in 1706, using it as a country estate and for recreational purposes.
In 1773, Rome dissolved the Jesuit order, and in consequence the Stift Neuburg was privatized and sold in 1779. The Stift changed hands three times before it was finally purchased by the Imperial Councellor Schlosser from Frankfurt. It remained in the Schlosser family until 1926, when the Arch Abbey Beuron acquired the Stift from Alexander von Bernus. Monastic life resumed, and two years later, the monastery was assigned the status of an Abbey itself.
Today, 11 monks live in Neuburg, headed by their Abbott, Winfried Schwab.